Officially the museum for A.H. Tammsaare was opened on 30th January 1958 in the house which was built by the writer's brother, August.
Until 1972 the exhibition was located only on the second floor of the house.
In 1978 on the 29th of January, in order to commemorate the 100th birthday of A.H. Tammsaare, a set of reconstructed buildings were opened. Replicas of a former barn-dwelling, barn, crofters dwellings, and fences were built. Hiking trails in the bogs surrounding the farm were also created.
On the 4th of December 2002 a foundation for The Museum of A.H. Tammsaare in Vargamäe was created.