Kumu Kunstimuuseum. EKM peahoone, Weizenbergi 34 / Valge 1, Tallinn, Harjumaa - EstNet - Tourism & travel information Estonia
logo
EESTI KEELES  SUOMEKSI PÅ SVENSKA AUF DEUTSCH
Search EstNet
 Home
 SiteMap
 Cottage & Apartment Rental Estonia
 Accommodation
- Hotels
- Hostels
- Guest Houses
- Motels
- Camping & Resort Villages
- Bed and Breakfast
- Cottages, Holiday Homes, Villas
- Apartments
- Wellness & Spa Hotels
 Conference Tourism
- Conference & Business Meetings
- Catering
 Food & Drink
- Restaurants
- Cafés
- Pizzerias
- Fast Food
 Active Holidays
 By Night
- Nightclubs & Discotheques
- Casinos
- Pubs
- Bowling & Billiard
 Travel Agencies
 Theatres, Opera Houses
 & Concert Halls
 Museums & What to See
 Car Rental & Taxi
 Business Contacts &  Companies
Weather Estonia
 Gallery
 Distances between
 Estonian Citys
 Pärnu

Art Museum of Estonia, Weizenbergi 34 / Valge 1, Tallinn, Harjumaa
Art Museum of Estonia
Address: Weizenbergi 34 / Valge 1, Tallinn, Harjumaa
Tel: +372 602 6000, Fax: +372 602 6002
Send e-mail
www.ekm.ee/kumu.php
Art Museum of Estonia was founded on November 17th, 1919, but it was not until 1921 that it got its first permanent building – the Kadriorg Palace, built in the 18th century. In 1929 the palace was expropriated from the Art Museum in order to rebuild it as the residence of the President of Estonia. The Art Museum of Estonia was housed in several different temporary spaces, until it moved back to the palace in 1946. In September, 1991 the Kadriorg Palace was closed, because it had totally deteriorated by then. At the end of the year the Supreme Council of the Republic of Estonia decided to guarantee the construction of a new building for the Art Museum of Estonia in Kadriorg. Untill then the Knighthood House at Toompea Hill served as the temporary main building of the Art Museum of Estonia. The exhibition there was opened on April 1, 1993. Art Museum of Estonia premanently closed down the exhibitions in that building in October 2005.
At the end of the 1970s, in the 1980s the first branches of the Art Museum of Estonia were founded. Starting from the 1995 all the branches offer different educational programmes for children and young people.  In 1996 the exhibition hall on the first floor of Rotermann Salt Storage was opened, this branch was closed in May 2005. In summer 2000 the restored Kadriorg Palace was opened, but not as the main building of the Art Museum of Estonia, but as a branch. Kadriorg Art Museum now exhibits the foreign art collection of the Art Museum of Estonia.
At present there are five active branches of the Art Museum of Estonia: Kadriorg Art Museum (Kadriorg Palace and Mikkel Museum), Niguliste Museum, Adamson-Eric Museum, and Kumu Art Museum (the new main building of the Art Museum of Estonia).
For the first time during its nearly 100-year-old history, the Art Museum of Estonia has a building that both meets the museum's requirements and is worthy of  Estonian art in its collections. Kumu Art Museum is a multifunctional art museum that includes exhibition halls, an auditorium that offers diverse possibilities, and an education centre for children and art lovers of all ages.
SUOMEKSIPÅ SVENSKAEESTI KEELESAUF DEUTSCH



Information about the map and terms and conditions: The map and the addresses shown on the map are based on the material in Google Maps. The information regarding Estonian addresses and place names is not always accurate (as of March 4th, 2010). ViroWeb bears no responsibility for potential damages caused by inaccurate map information.

EstNet.info Contact


Estonian Cottage Rental