Kuressaare Raekoda, Tallinna 2, Kuressaare, Saaremaa - EstNet - Tourism & travel information Estonia
Kuressaare Town Hall, Tallinna 2, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
Kuressaare Town Hall
Address: Tallinna 2, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
Tel:
Kuressaare
The Town Hall of Kuressaare with its clean cut, simple, but distinguished lines represents the Northern Baroque style. The Swedish nobleman, Count Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie, is the creator credited with the idea of building the hall and even drew the first sketches himself. The Town Hall was built between 1653 and 1670, under the guidance of master builder, Franz Stiemer and stonemason, J. Hansson. The Latin text above the portal - SEMPER OFFICIO FUNGITUR UTILITATI HOMINUM CONSULENS ET SOCIETATI. ANNO MDCLXX (The will of the people is consulted and the good of society is followed. AD 1670) stresses the public use of the building. The Town Hall was restored to its original appearance and function during a renovation which was accomplished between 1961 and 1973 by the architect, A. Maasik, and art historian, H. Sirel. The Town Hall now houses a tourist information centre and an art gallery and occasionally serves as a venue for concerts.
SUOMEKSIPÅ SVENSKAEESTI KEELESAUF DEUTSCH



Information about the map and terms and conditions: The map and the addresses shown on the map are based on the material in Google Maps. The information regarding Estonian addresses and place names is not always accurate (as of March 4th, 2010). ViroWeb bears no responsibility for potential damages caused by inaccurate map information.