Kuressaare Vaekoda, Tallinna 3, Kuressaare, Saaremaa - EstNet - Tourism & travel information Estonia
The Weighing House, Tallinna 3, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
The Weighing House
Address: Tallinna 3, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
Tel:
Vaekoda
The Weighing House is located in the central square, opposite the Town Hall. The Weighing House was built in 1666 as a place to keep the public scales, while the central square served as the market place. This is the only building of its type that has survived in Estonia. The main attraction of the small two story limestone building is in the strict symmetry in the architecture and the scaled gable, decorating the façade. The Weighing House was enlarged with a single story building in the 18th Century, probably for stables. The building has had numerous functions throughout the centuries. At the turn of the 18th Century, it accommodated the Town Guard, at the turn of the 19th, the Town Post Station. The initial façade was restored in 1980 - 1982, by the architect, L. Hansar, and the historian, A. M. Hallik.
SUOMEKSIPÅ SVENSKAEESTI KEELESAUF DEUTSCH



Information about the map and terms and conditions: The map and the addresses shown on the map are based on the material in Google Maps. The information regarding Estonian addresses and place names is not always accurate (as of March 4th, 2010). ViroWeb bears no responsibility for potential damages caused by inaccurate map information.