Estonia - Eesti Harjumaa Museums
logo
EESTI KEELES  SUOMEKSI PÅ SVENSKA AUF DEUTSCH
Search EstNet
 Home
 SiteMap
 Cottage & Apartment Rental Estonia
 Accommodation
- Hotels
- Hostels
- Guest Houses
- Motels
- Camping & Resort Villages
- Bed and Breakfast
- Cottages, Holiday Homes, Villas
- Apartments
- Wellness & Spa Hotels
 Conference Tourism
- Conference & Business Meetings
- Catering
 Food & Drink
- Restaurants
- Cafés
- Pizzerias
- Fast Food
 Active Holidays
 By Night
- Nightclubs & Discotheques
- Casinos
- Pubs
- Bowling & Billiard
 Travel Agencies
 Theatres, Opera Houses
 & Concert Halls
 Museums & What to See
 Car Rental & Taxi
 Business Contacts &  Companies
Weather Estonia
 Gallery
 Distances between
 Estonian Citys
 Pärnu

Harjumaa > What to see > Museums


Museums | Churches | Show all

HARJUMAA MAPTARTU PÄRNUHAAPSALU TARTUMAA PÕLVAMAA VALGAMAA HARJUMAA VILJANDIMAA VÕRUMAA IDA-VIRUMAANARVA LÄÄNE-VIRUMAA JÄRVAMAA RAPLAMAA JÕGEVAMAA HIIUMAA TALLINNPÄRNUMAA LÄÄNEMAASAARENMAAKURESSAAREOTEPÄÄ Harjumaa county: www.harju.ee
Harjumaa map
Accommodation
Conference Tourism
Food & Drink
Spa Hotels & Wellness
Active Holidays
By Night
Theatres & Concert Halls, Opera
Car Rental & Taxi
Museums
Tallinn weather: EMHI

Harjumaa   Museums
found 23, page 1/2: 1 2   next 20 >>
A.H.Tammsaare Museum
Address: Koidula 12 A, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 601 3111
Send e-mail
www.linnamuuseum.ee/tammsaare/
Anton Hansen Tammsaare Memorial Museum is situated in a summer-cottage-type house in Kadriorg, formerly a suburb. The Estonian literary classic Anton Hansen Tammsaare (1878-1940) lived in this apartment in 1932-1940 and died here. His widow Käthe Hansen wished their home to become a museum and her wish was granted on the centenary of the writer, on 30 January 1978. The first floor of the building contains the five-room apartment, furnished as it used to be in the writer's lifetime. In the other wing of the floor there is the literary-historical display of Tammsaare's life and work. The museum collection contains over 6000 items, among them rarities like the writer's death mask and his violin, his home archive with manuscripts, correspondence, documents and photos. In November 2005 a long-awaited redecoration of the exhibition hall began and we do hope to complete it and open the new exhibition by the end of 2006. Up to then only the apartment is open but smaller exhibitions are arranged in it, too.
> Museums
Steamer-icebreaker Suur Tõll
Address: Küti 17, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 641 1408
Send e-mail
www.meremuuseum.ee
Suur Toll is the only pre-war steam ship of the Republic of Estonia remained up to now and, at the same time, the biggest icebreaker in the world preserved through two world wars. In 1914 the first home port of the ship was Tallinn. In March 1918, armed Finns captured this ship from Russian Bolsheviks by agreement with the ship officers of Estonian origin. During the hard initial period of the Estonian Liberation War, Suur Toll (Wäinämöinen) was bringing to us volunteers and supplies. Proceeding from the terms of the Estonian-Russian Peace Treaty of 1920, the Finnish Government transferred the icebreaker to Estonia on 30 November 1922. The ship was named Suur Toll, and it ensured a regular winter sea navigation for Tallinn up to the end of the independency period. Only in October 1988, one succeeded to get back the ship taken by the Baltic Fleet of the USSR in 1941 and convert it into a museum ship. All the 3 original steam engines as well as most of the original arrangement of space and late Jugendstil interior of the officers’ rooms were preserved.
>
Dominical Monastery Museum
Address: Vene 16/18, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 515 5489
Send e-mail
www.kloostri.ee
A visit to the oldest building preserved in the Old Town of Tallinn is worthwhile. The Monastery, which once used to be a place where different cultures mingled and a cradle of Estonian schooling, is today a unique architectural monument for the whole of Northern Europe. The Monastery founded by Dominican monks as early as in 1246 and built in the Gothic style, offers besides medieval architecture a large collection of carved stones.
> Museums
Estonian History Museum - Great Guild Hall
Address: Pikk 17, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 641 1630
Send e-mail
www.eam.ee
> Museums
Art Museum of Estonia
Address: Kiriku plats 1, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 644 9340
Send e-mail
www.ekm.ee
> Museums
Estonian Museum of Natural History
Address: Lai 29a, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 641 1739
Send e-mail
www.loodusmuuseum.ee
The Estonian Museum of Natural History is a state institution in the area of government of the Ministry of the Environment and has the status of a national museum. Having been founded as the Provincial Museum of the Estonian Literary Society in 1842, it has been operating as an independent museum since 1941. The Museum of Natural History operates pursuant to the Museums Act passed in 1996 (RT (State Gazette) 1996, 83, 1487) and the Statutes of the Estonian Museum of Natural History (Regulation No. 57 of 29 July 2005 of the Minister of Environment). The museum is housed in two buildings. The building at Lai Street 29A houses the exhibition halls, storage rooms for geological collections, the photo collection and office rooms of both the administration and the departments of geology and nature education. The building at Toompuiestee 26 is the location of the remaining collections and office rooms of the departments of botany, entomology and zoology. The total space at the disposal of the museum amounts to appr. 1000 m2. The further development of the museum will greatly depend on the amount of space available to the museum. We envisage the future of the museum in considerably more spacious premises, where the visitor can obtain a much more complete overview of the diversity of Estonia's natural wealth, where attractive exhibitions of environmental protection, general biological issues, world nature, etc. would be housed, and where it would be possible to create conditions also for the disabled, as these conditions are currently not in place in the museum.
> Museums
Museum Ships of Estonian Maritime Museum
Address: Pikk 70, Tallinna, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 641 1408
Send e-mail
www.meremuuseum.ee
All ships are assembled in the historical Seaplane harbour which has become the homeport of our museum ships.

Steamer-icebreaker Suur Tõll
- Submarine Lembit
- Coast Guard Boat PVL 105 “TORM”
- Mineship Kalev
- Patrol-boat Grif

In the course of years the Estonian Maritime Museum has acquired a number of historical ships whose value of memorial pieces is growing with the years. From the autumn of 2004 all ships were assembled in the historical Seaplane harbour (built in 1916) which has become the homeport of our museum ships and the place for our open air exposition in the future. Full development of Museum ships port with creation of the open air exposition among the existing historical constructions - hangars for seaplanes, barracks and headquarters building – is the large-scale project for the coming years contributing considerably to the value of the waterfront of Tallinn on its completion.
-
> Museums
Estonian Museum of Applied Art and Design
Address: Lai 17, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 627 4600
Send e-mail
www.etdm.ee
Estonian Museum of Applied Art and Design (ETDM) is located in the old town of Tallinn in a 17th century storehouse. The museum’s collection was initiated in 1919 as part of the collections of the Estonian Art Museum. Today it consists of examples of contemporary Estonian applied art as well as of design prototypes and products. The collection, with 15 000 exhibits, includes works of textile art, ceramics, porcelain, leather, glass, jewellery, metalwork, furniture and product design. There is also a rare collection of photographs, negatives and slides; a small specialist library and an archival collection. The collections of Estonian Museum of Applied Art and Design offer the largest and most comprehensive overview of Estonian applied art and design.
> Museums
Estonian Theatre and Music Museum
Address: Müürivahe 12, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 644 6407 , +372 644 2132
Send e-mail
www.tmm.ee
Estonian Theatre and Music Museum collects, preserves, studies and introduces the Estonian theatre and musicale life. The museum organizes exhibitions, concerts and discussion evenings. In the summer time some museum events take place in the small courtyard of Assauwe.
> Museums
Estonian Health Care Museum
Address: Lai 28, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 641 1730, +372 6411 732
Send e-mail
www.tervishoiumuuseum.ee
Estonian Health Care Museum was established in 1921, and the museum was opened at the initiative of the doctors of the Tartu University in 1924. The basis for the many-sided activities of EHCM was mainly the enthusiasm of doctor Sumberg, the manager of the museum, and his skill to organise the best doctors to work for the museum. The museum had scientific committees that were responsible for expanding and developing of the display. In addition to the permanent display the museum also organised exhibitions throughout the country. In 1928 a department of the museum was established in Tallinn, which was opened in 1932. In 1950s the museum was closed. The exhibits were destroyed in a vandalistic manner. Waxwork was melted, copper items were sold as scrap metal. Some exhibits were simply stolen. The museum was reopened on the premises of Tallinn Medical School in 1980.From 1989 Estonian Health Care Museum is located in Lai street. Estonian Health Care Museum collects materials relating to the history of medicine in Estonia (photographs, publications, documents, various objects). Since its opening, the museum has been different from a traditional museum, which deal mostly with collecting and displaying of old items. An important feature of the work of the museum is human studies and educating the visitors regarding healthy life style. This is being done with the help of modern moulages, interactive exhibits and topical exhibitions. Apart from the permanent exhibition other exhibitions are organised. These include history of medicine, medical equipment, technical equipment for disabled people and also art exhibitions. From 2000 the museum employs an educational specialist whose lectures help the visitors to understand the exhibits better and who is able to deliver lectures on various topics: anatomy, evolution, first aid, drug abuse, venereal diseases, etc. It is also possible to see videos on the said topics.
> Museums
Museum of Estonian Struggle for Liberty
Address: Vabaduse park, Lagedi, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 676 6197, Fax: +372 676 6197
Send e-mail
personal.inet.fi/koti/ml.valoma/
> Museums
Estonian Open Air Museum
Address: Vabaõhumuuseumi tee 12, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 654 9100, Fax: +372 654 9127
Send e-mail
www.evm.ee
Get a glimpse of true Estonian country side and village life in Estonian Open Air Museum! Museum situates in beautiful Rocca al Mare forest park on Kopli bay, just 15 minutes drive from the center of Tallinn.
> Museums
Harju County Museum
Address: Linnuse 9, Keila, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 678 1668
Send e-mail
www.muuseum.harju.ee
> Museums
Kiek in de Kök
Address: Komandandi tee 2, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 644 6686
Send e-mail
www.linnamuuseum.ee/kok/
59.43470709256404, 24.74132226242682
> Museums
Art Museum of Estonia
Address: Weizenbergi 34 / Valge 1, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 602 6000, Fax: +372 602 6002
Send e-mail
www.ekm.ee/kumu.php
Art Museum of Estonia was founded on November 17th, 1919, but it was not until 1921 that it got its first permanent building – the Kadriorg Palace, built in the 18th century. In 1929 the palace was expropriated from the Art Museum in order to rebuild it as the residence of the President of Estonia. The Art Museum of Estonia was housed in several different temporary spaces, until it moved back to the palace in 1946. In September, 1991 the Kadriorg Palace was closed, because it had totally deteriorated by then. At the end of the year the Supreme Council of the Republic of Estonia decided to guarantee the construction of a new building for the Art Museum of Estonia in Kadriorg. Untill then the Knighthood House at Toompea Hill served as the temporary main building of the Art Museum of Estonia. The exhibition there was opened on April 1, 1993. Art Museum of Estonia premanently closed down the exhibitions in that building in October 2005.
At the end of the 1970s, in the 1980s the first branches of the Art Museum of Estonia were founded. Starting from the 1995 all the branches offer different educational programmes for children and young people.  In 1996 the exhibition hall on the first floor of Rotermann Salt Storage was opened, this branch was closed in May 2005. In summer 2000 the restored Kadriorg Palace was opened, but not as the main building of the Art Museum of Estonia, but as a branch. Kadriorg Art Museum now exhibits the foreign art collection of the Art Museum of Estonia.
At present there are five active branches of the Art Museum of Estonia: Kadriorg Art Museum (Kadriorg Palace and Mikkel Museum), Niguliste Museum, Adamson-Eric Museum, and Kumu Art Museum (the new main building of the Art Museum of Estonia).
For the first time during its nearly 100-year-old history, the Art Museum of Estonia has a building that both meets the museum's requirements and is worthy of  Estonian art in its collections. Kumu Art Museum is a multifunctional art museum that includes exhibition halls, an auditorium that offers diverse possibilities, and an education centre for children and art lovers of all ages.
> Museums
Kurtna Motomuuseum (Mootorattamuuseum)
Address: Tagadi tee 1, Kiisa, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 508 7150
Send e-mail
www.teearu.ee
> Museums
Estonian History Museum - Maarjamäe Palace
Address: Pirita tee 56, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 6968 600
Send e-mail
www.ajaloomuuseum.ee/et/kuelastajale/918-maarjamaee-loss
Maarjamäe or Orlov’s Palace was commissioned by Count Anatoli Orlov-Davydov from St. Petersburg. The historicist limestone summer residence on the seashore was designed by architect Robert Gödicke. In the 1930s the building housed a magnificent restaurant – the Riviera Palace. In 1937 the Estonian Air force Flying School obtained the building, the Soviet Army took over in 1940. The restored palace opened its doors to the public as a branch museum of the Estonian History Museum in 1987. Permanent and temporary exhibitions about Estonian history.
> Museums
Museum of Occupation and of Fight for Freedom
Address: Toompea 8, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 668 0250, Fax: +372 668 0251
Send e-mail
www.okupatsioon.ee
The permanent exposition of the Occupations Museum, which was opened in 2003, reflects developments in Estonia from 1940 to 1991, when Estonia was alternately occupied by the Soviet Union, Germany, and by the Soviet Union once more. More or less thematic temporary exhibition are also organized.
> Museums
Sea fortress Patarei
Address: Suur-Patarei 24, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 50 46 536
Send e-mail
www.patarei.org
Sea fortress Patarei (Battery) is a unique monument of architecture. The defence system completed in 1840 by order of Emperor Nicholas I has preserved its beautiful limestone facade. With the development of technology the fortress lost its value as defence structure and became a barrack for soldiers from different army units. Special period for Patarei arrived in 1919 when the fortress became a prison. Because of its two meter walls, Patarei suited very well for that purpose. It was also used by all foreign powers occupying Estonia. Patarei has preserved its original Soviet interior that is of interest both to local people and tourists from abroad. Year 2006 brough new winds to Patarei. Culture Park Patarei brings special atmosphere inside the walls of the fortress and around them. Concerts, parties, theatre performances, exhibitions, handicraft making will take place here. Here you can also find the first seaside summer cafe of Tallin.
> Museums
Peter the Creat's Cottage
Address: Mäekalda 2, Tallinn, Harjumaa
map Location
Tel: +372 6013136
Send e-mail
www.linnamuuseum.ee/peetrimaja/
Emperor Peter I (1672-1725) expanded the borders of the Russian Empire in the course of the Northern War and managed to annex the whole Estonian territory by the year 1710. Therefore the protection of the new border areas became the priority of the ruler and he paid a lot of attention to the reconstruction of ports in Tallinn and Paldiski and visited Tallinn several times. Together with the site of the would-be palace, a summer estate and a 17th-century cottage that had belonged to town councillor von Drenteln were purchased for the emperor's use in 1713. The small cottage was enlarged with a wing and the outcome was a building with a hall, a kitchen and four rooms. The small summer residence was in use until the emperor's death. The succeeding rulers used the Palace of Kadriorg that had been completed only after Peter's death and the small building was neglected. The building was restored at the order of Emperor Alexander I after he visited Tallinn in 1804. The wing, however, was not. The kitchen was reconstructed and a dining room was built above it on the first floor that had not existed before.
> Museums
1 2   next 20 >>

Museums | Churches | Show all

Harjumaa > What to see > Museums



EstNet.info - Tourism & Tavel Information Estonia. Copyright © EstNet - ViroWeb 2003 - 2005
EstNet.info Contact


Estonian Cottage Rental