Estonia - Eesti Kuressaare What to see
logo
EESTI KEELES  SUOMEKSI PÅ SVENSKA AUF DEUTSCH
Search EstNet
 Home
 SiteMap
 Cottage & Apartment Rental Estonia
 Accommodation
- Hotels
- Hostels
- Guest Houses
- Motels
- Camping & Resort Villages
- Bed and Breakfast
- Cottages, Holiday Homes, Villas
- Apartments
- Wellness & Spa Hotels
 Conference Tourism
- Conference & Business Meetings
- Catering
 Food & Drink
- Restaurants
- Cafés
- Pizzerias
- Fast Food
 Active Holidays
 By Night
- Nightclubs & Discotheques
- Casinos
- Pubs
- Bowling & Billiard
 Travel Agencies
 Theatres, Opera Houses
 & Concert Halls
 Museums & What to See
 Car Rental & Taxi
 Business Contacts &  Companies
Weather Estonia
 Gallery
 Distances between
 Estonian Citys
 Pärnu

Kuressaare > What to see >


Museums | Churches | Show all

SAAREMAA MAP TARTU PÄRNUHAAPSALU TARTUMAA PÕLVAMAA VALGAMAA HARJUMAA VILJANDIMAA VÕRUMAA IDA-VIRUMAANARVA LÄÄNE-VIRUMAA JÄRVAMAA RAPLAMAA JÕGEVAMAA HIIUMAA TALLINNPÄRNUMAA LÄÄNEMAASAARENMAAKURESSAAREOTEPÄÄ Kuressaare: www.kuressaare.ee
Kuressaare map
Saaremaa county map
Accommodation
Conference Tourism
Food & Drink
Spa Hotels & Wellness
Active Holidays
By Night
Theatres & Concert Halls, Opera
Car Rental & Taxi
Museums
Kuressaare weather: EMHI

Kuressaare   What to see
found 9, page 1/1: 1
Aaviks memorial museum
Address: Vallimaa k. 7, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 455 7583
www.saaremaamuuseum.ee
Aavikute majamuuseum At the end of the 19th century the house and real estate at 9 Sepa Street (later 7 Vallimaa St.) belonged to a gardener Johann Brenner (1834-92). After his death the real estate was bought buy a tradesman from Kuressaare Jakob Aavik (father of Joosep Aavik) for his brother Mihkel Aavik (father of Johannes Aavik). On April 1, 1896 Mihkel Aavik moved in with his wife Ann (1849-1918) and their children Aadu, Liisi and Juuli. Johannes Aavik lived in his parents' house as a pupil in1898-1902 and later, when he worked as a teacher of Estonian in Saaremaa Gymnasium in 1919-1926. After the parents' death sisters Liisi (1885-1949) and Juuli (1890-1959) took care of the house. From 1961 till his death in 1989 the house was Joosep Aavik's home. On June 19, 1992 the house was opened as Johannes and Joosep Aavik's Memorial Museum, being a branch of Saaremaa Museum.
> Museums
St Lawrence Lutheran Church in Kuressaare
Address: Tallinna 13, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
www.teelistekirikud.ekn.ee/2013/fi_maakond.php?mk=Saaremaa
Laurentiuse kirik
A neo-Classical church with original interior. The church serves as the depository for a unique medieval baptismal font from Anseküla church. New stained-glass windows painted in gold (artist Urmo Raus, 2003). Built: 1733, 1836.
>
Kuressaare Town - Tourism information
Address: Tallinna 2, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 453 3120, +372 455 0550, Fax: +372 453 3120
Send e-mail
Kuressaare
Kuressaare is the capital of Saaremaa. The town, located at the Livonia Bay, has territory of about 15 sq.km and a population of about 15,000. First written data 1424. The freedom of town 8 May 1563. Self-governing status 1 October 1990. Territory 15 km2. Kuressaare obtained freedom of a town in 1563 has been called with different names throughout its existence. The historic German-like name,  Arensburg,  was replaced by Kuressaare in 1917. During the Soviet period in 1952-1988 it was called Kingissepa after the bolshevik Viktor Kingissepp who was born here.

Kuressaare was the first town in Estonia where the self-governing status was restored in October 1990. Today, Kuressaare is a safe and healthy town, open for international cooperation and communication and having eight twin-towns.
Population 15 170 (Jan.1 2008).
>
Saaremaa Museum - Castle & Fortress
Address: Lossihoov 1, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 45 54463
Send e-mail
www.saaremaamuuseum.ee
Kuressaare
Kuressaaren Piispanlinna Saaremaa Museum was established on 17th February 1865 when the Research Society of Saaremaa (Verein zur Kunde Oesels) was founded in Kuressaare. J. B. Holzmayer, a teacher of classical languages of Kuressaare Gymnasium, did a lot to start and develop the museum. The antiquities found during archaeological excavations organized by Mr. Holzmayer became the basis of the museum. The collections of the Society were initially located in the building of Kuressaare Gymnasium. In 1892, the museum was in Kuressaare Castle already. During the first quarter of the century the location of the museum was changed several times. After World War I the museum together with the castle were administered by Saaremaa County Government, from 1934 by Kuressaare City Government. In 1925, the exhibits were finally taken to the rooms of the upper floor of the castle. During World War II part of the exhibits got lost. The museum was reopened to the public in 1947. Today it is one of the most important scientific and cultural institutions in Saaremaa County. After the reconstruction of the castle, new modern exhibitions of Saaremaa's history (1985-1987) and nature (1993) were opened. Besides up to 30 temporary exhibitions, numerous concerts and other cultural events are organized in the museum each year. Every second year the Annals of the Museum are published.
> Museums
Kuressaare Town Hall
Address: Tallinna 2, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
Kuressaare
The Town Hall of Kuressaare with its clean cut, simple, but distinguished lines represents the Northern Baroque style. The Swedish nobleman, Count Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie, is the creator credited with the idea of building the hall and even drew the first sketches himself. The Town Hall was built between 1653 and 1670, under the guidance of master builder, Franz Stiemer and stonemason, J. Hansson. The Latin text above the portal - SEMPER OFFICIO FUNGITUR UTILITATI HOMINUM CONSULENS ET SOCIETATI. ANNO MDCLXX (The will of the people is consulted and the good of society is followed. AD 1670) stresses the public use of the building. The Town Hall was restored to its original appearance and function during a renovation which was accomplished between 1961 and 1973 by the architect, A. Maasik, and art historian, H. Sirel. The Town Hall now houses a tourist information centre and an art gallery and occasionally serves as a venue for concerts.
>
The Weighing House
Address: Tallinna 3, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
Vaekoda
The Weighing House is located in the central square, opposite the Town Hall. The Weighing House was built in 1666 as a place to keep the public scales, while the central square served as the market place. This is the only building of its type that has survived in Estonia. The main attraction of the small two story limestone building is in the strict symmetry in the architecture and the scaled gable, decorating the façade. The Weighing House was enlarged with a single story building in the 18th Century, probably for stables. The building has had numerous functions throughout the centuries. At the turn of the 18th Century, it accommodated the Town Guard, at the turn of the 19th, the Town Post Station. The initial façade was restored in 1980 - 1982, by the architect, L. Hansar, and the historian, A. M. Hallik.
>
St Nicholas’ Orthodox Church
Address: Lossi 8, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
www.teelistekirikud.ekn.ee/2013/fi_maakond.php?mk=Saaremaa
Nikolai kirik
Ancient trees shade the late classical Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas with its two cupolas, built in 1790. Houses from the same period have also been preserved on other streets of the old town.
>
The Knighthood Building
Address: Lossi 1, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
Rüütelkonna hoone
The Knighthood Building was built by von Dellingshausen at the end of the 18th Century and today, it accommodates the County Government of Saaremaa. At the beginning of the 19th Century, the house belonged to the Nobility of Saaremaa, then in 1912, to the Noblemen's club. The County Government of Saaremaa bought the house in 1920. The foundation of the building is symmetrical, with a high socle floor. The façade is proportionately divided by three protuberances, the central of which is crowned by a bow-shaped pediment. The balcony with dolomite marble columns and an iron balustrade decorates the façade.
>
Monument of the War of Independence
Address: Lossi 1, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
Vabadussõjas langenud saarlaste monument
The monument opposite the County Government Building is dedicated to commemorate the islanders who lost their lives in the battles of the Estonian War of Independence (1918 - 1920). The famous Estonian sculptor, Amandus Adamson, has depicted a wounded soldier leaning on a rock. On the back side of the monument, there are bronze plaques with 160 names of the fallen. The monument was demolished by the Soviet Army on the 18th of June 1940, and was restored and erected in this location in the autumn of 1942. In the spring of 1945, the monument was once again destroyed by the Soviets. It was restored in 1990, and on July 23, Victory Day, it was rededicated. The sculptor is Mati Varik.
>
1

Museums | Churches | Show all

Kuressaare > What to see >



EstNet.info - Tourism & Tavel Information Estonia. Copyright © EstNet - ViroWeb 2003 - 2005
EstNet.info Contact


Estonian Cottage Rental