Estonia - Eesti Saaremaa What to see
logo
EESTI KEELES  SUOMEKSI PÅ SVENSKA AUF DEUTSCH
Search EstNet
 Home
 SiteMap
 Cottage & Apartment Rental Estonia
 Accommodation
- Hotels
- Hostels
- Guest Houses
- Motels
- Camping & Resort Villages
- Bed and Breakfast
- Cottages, Holiday Homes, Villas
- Apartments
- Wellness & Spa Hotels
 Conference Tourism
- Conference & Business Meetings
- Catering
 Food & Drink
- Restaurants
- Cafés
- Pizzerias
- Fast Food
 Active Holidays
 By Night
- Nightclubs & Discotheques
- Casinos
- Pubs
- Bowling & Billiard
 Travel Agencies
 Theatres, Opera Houses
 & Concert Halls
 Museums & What to See
 Car Rental & Taxi
 Business Contacts &  Companies
Weather Estonia
 Gallery
 Distances between
 Estonian Citys
 Pärnu

Saaremaa > What to see >


Museums | Churches | Show all

KURESSAARE MAP TARTU PÄRNUHAAPSALU TARTUMAA PÕLVAMAA VALGAMAA HARJUMAA VILJANDIMAA VÕRUMAA IDA-VIRUMAANARVA LÄÄNE-VIRUMAA JÄRVAMAA RAPLAMAA JÕGEVAMAA HIIUMAA TALLINNPÄRNUMAA LÄÄNEMAASAARENMAAKURESSAAREOTEPÄÄ Saaremaa county:
Saaremaa map
Accommodation
Conference Tourism
Food & Drink
Spa Hotels & Wellness
Active Holidays
By Night
Theatres & Concert Halls, Opera
Car Rental & Taxi
Museums
Kuressaare weather: EMHI

Saaremaa   What to see
found 25, page 1/2: 1 2  next 20 >>
Aaviks memorial museum
Address: Vallimaa k. 7, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 455 7583
www.saaremaamuuseum.ee
Aavikute majamuuseum At the end of the 19th century the house and real estate at 9 Sepa Street (later 7 Vallimaa St.) belonged to a gardener Johann Brenner (1834-92). After his death the real estate was bought buy a tradesman from Kuressaare Jakob Aavik (father of Joosep Aavik) for his brother Mihkel Aavik (father of Johannes Aavik). On April 1, 1896 Mihkel Aavik moved in with his wife Ann (1849-1918) and their children Aadu, Liisi and Juuli. Johannes Aavik lived in his parents' house as a pupil in1898-1902 and later, when he worked as a teacher of Estonian in Saaremaa Gymnasium in 1919-1926. After the parents' death sisters Liisi (1885-1949) and Juuli (1890-1959) took care of the house. From 1961 till his death in 1989 the house was Joosep Aavik's home. On June 19, 1992 the house was opened as Johannes and Joosep Aavik's Memorial Museum, being a branch of Saaremaa Museum.
> Museums
Abruka island
Address: Abruka, Kaarma, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
www.hot.ee/abrukamuuseum/
58.16424511644518, 22.508976142883284
>
Angla Windmill Park
Address: Angla, Leisi, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 5199 0265
Send e-mail
www.anglatuulik.eu
For about hundred years Angla Windmill Park can be characterised by four wind-operated grinding mills with turnable tower.
>
Asva linnusasula
Address: Asva, Laimjala, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asva_maalinn
>
Audla mõis
Address: Audla, Laimjala, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audla_mõis
>
Eemu windmill
Address: Linnuse, Muhu, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 452 8130
www.saaremaamuuseum.ee
There is a windmill at the gate of Eemu Farm in Linnuse Village on island of Muhu. It is one of the few functioning windmills in Estonia. Since May 17, 1980 it is a department of Saaremaa Museum. It is situated one kilometre from the Straight Väike Väin and it was built up on its old site by Jüri Ling, who lives in the same village.
> Museums
Jööri Village Museum
Address: Jööri, Valjala, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 45 49 287
Send e-mail
www.muuseum.ee
The exposition is located inside and around a reconstructed historic granary brought to the village from another place. Ethnographic objects reflecting local history and culture are exposed. Jööri Chapel, some twenty steps from the museum, was the most important centre of the fraternity of Moravians (Herrnhuter) in Saaremaa as the seat of the deacon of the brethren. Upon agreement with the farmer’s family the rest area can be used.
> Museums
Kaali meteoriidikraatrid
Address: Kaali, Pihtla, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
www.ut.ee/BGGM/kaali.html
>
St Lawrence Lutheran Church in Kuressaare
Address: Tallinna 13, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
www.teelistekirikud.ekn.ee/2013/fi_maakond.php?mk=Saaremaa
Laurentiuse kirik
A neo-Classical church with original interior. The church serves as the depository for a unique medieval baptismal font from Anseküla church. New stained-glass windows painted in gold (artist Urmo Raus, 2003). Built: 1733, 1836.
>
Kuressaare Town - Tourism information
Address: Tallinna 2, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 453 3120, +372 455 0550, Fax: +372 453 3120
Send e-mail
Kuressaare
Kuressaare is the capital of Saaremaa. The town, located at the Livonia Bay, has territory of about 15 sq.km and a population of about 15,000. First written data 1424. The freedom of town 8 May 1563. Self-governing status 1 October 1990. Territory 15 km2. Kuressaare obtained freedom of a town in 1563 has been called with different names throughout its existence. The historic German-like name,  Arensburg,  was replaced by Kuressaare in 1917. During the Soviet period in 1952-1988 it was called Kingissepa after the bolshevik Viktor Kingissepp who was born here.

Kuressaare was the first town in Estonia where the self-governing status was restored in October 1990. Today, Kuressaare is a safe and healthy town, open for international cooperation and communication and having eight twin-towns.
Population 15 170 (Jan.1 2008).
>
Saaremaa Museum - Castle & Fortress
Address: Lossihoov 1, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 45 54463
Send e-mail
www.saaremaamuuseum.ee
Kuressaare
Kuressaaren Piispanlinna Saaremaa Museum was established on 17th February 1865 when the Research Society of Saaremaa (Verein zur Kunde Oesels) was founded in Kuressaare. J. B. Holzmayer, a teacher of classical languages of Kuressaare Gymnasium, did a lot to start and develop the museum. The antiquities found during archaeological excavations organized by Mr. Holzmayer became the basis of the museum. The collections of the Society were initially located in the building of Kuressaare Gymnasium. In 1892, the museum was in Kuressaare Castle already. During the first quarter of the century the location of the museum was changed several times. After World War I the museum together with the castle were administered by Saaremaa County Government, from 1934 by Kuressaare City Government. In 1925, the exhibits were finally taken to the rooms of the upper floor of the castle. During World War II part of the exhibits got lost. The museum was reopened to the public in 1947. Today it is one of the most important scientific and cultural institutions in Saaremaa County. After the reconstruction of the castle, new modern exhibitions of Saaremaa's history (1985-1987) and nature (1993) were opened. Besides up to 30 temporary exhibitions, numerous concerts and other cultural events are organized in the museum each year. Every second year the Annals of the Museum are published.
> Museums
Kuressaare Town Hall
Address: Tallinna 2, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
Kuressaare
The Town Hall of Kuressaare with its clean cut, simple, but distinguished lines represents the Northern Baroque style. The Swedish nobleman, Count Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie, is the creator credited with the idea of building the hall and even drew the first sketches himself. The Town Hall was built between 1653 and 1670, under the guidance of master builder, Franz Stiemer and stonemason, J. Hansson. The Latin text above the portal - SEMPER OFFICIO FUNGITUR UTILITATI HOMINUM CONSULENS ET SOCIETATI. ANNO MDCLXX (The will of the people is consulted and the good of society is followed. AD 1670) stresses the public use of the building. The Town Hall was restored to its original appearance and function during a renovation which was accomplished between 1961 and 1973 by the architect, A. Maasik, and art historian, H. Sirel. The Town Hall now houses a tourist information centre and an art gallery and occasionally serves as a venue for concerts.
>
The Weighing House
Address: Tallinna 3, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
Vaekoda
The Weighing House is located in the central square, opposite the Town Hall. The Weighing House was built in 1666 as a place to keep the public scales, while the central square served as the market place. This is the only building of its type that has survived in Estonia. The main attraction of the small two story limestone building is in the strict symmetry in the architecture and the scaled gable, decorating the façade. The Weighing House was enlarged with a single story building in the 18th Century, probably for stables. The building has had numerous functions throughout the centuries. At the turn of the 18th Century, it accommodated the Town Guard, at the turn of the 19th, the Town Post Station. The initial façade was restored in 1980 - 1982, by the architect, L. Hansar, and the historian, A. M. Hallik.
>
Mihkli farm museum
Address: Viki, Kihelkonna, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 45 54463
Send e-mail
www.saaremaamuuseum.ee
On the western coast of Saaremaa, 3 km from Kihelkonna towards Kuressaare one may find a peculiar museum - Mihkli Farm Museum. There was no need to gather things into this farm: the complete set of farm houses and all kind of things needed in every-day life were there. Almost all the things have been made by the people of six generations living there during two centuries. You can see historical exhibits in their historical environment. Mihkli Farm Museum was born on Feb. 5, 1959, when the last owner of the farm became the first employee of the new museum after having handed over all the buildings and everyday commodities to Saaremaa Museum.
> Museums
Muhu Museum
Address: Koguva, Muhu, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 45 48872
Send e-mail
www.muhumuuseum.ee
Muhu Museum in the village of Koguva on the island of Muhu illustrates the life of a prosperous coastal farm in the 19th century. Tooma farmstead – the birthplace of Estonian writer Juhan Smuul – with all outbuildings and farm equipment is the heart of the museum. Additionally, an old village school dating back to the mid-19th century and a display of ethnographic textiles (Muhu folk costumes and bridal quilts) exhibited in the office building of the museum at Koguva Välja, belong to the museum. In addition to the ethnographic farmstead, an exposition introducing the life and work of Juhan Smuul and his summertime writing-room can be seen at Tooma. A copy of the Letter of Freedom, granted to the peasants of Koguva in 1532, is displayed on the wall of the Tooma living-room. The history and inhabitants of the village of Koguva are introduced. The museum is situated in the heart of the Koguva village, which is a heritage conservation area. Old dry-stone walls and crooked village streets create a unique archaic atmosphere around the museum. It is worth remembering, however, that the rest of the village is not a museum and the villagers are leading their normal daily life.
> Museums
St Nicholas’ Orthodox Church
Address: Lossi 8, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
www.teelistekirikud.ekn.ee/2013/fi_maakond.php?mk=Saaremaa
Nikolai kirik
Ancient trees shade the late classical Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas with its two cupolas, built in 1790. Houses from the same period have also been preserved on other streets of the old town.
>
Pädaste mõisahooned
Address: Pädaste mõis, Muhu, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 454 8800
Send e-mail
www.mois.ee/saare/padaste.shtml
>
Ruhnu museum
Address: Ruhnu, Ruhnu, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 55623993
Send e-mail
www.aiboland.ee/Ruhnu%20muuseum/muuseumist
Ruhnu Museum was founded in 1990 and the present exposition opened in 1998. Here we can see about 300 items that were once used by the islanders in their work and everyday life. There are 12 wallboards of photos and texts that cover the peculiar history and nature of the island. The most unique are the 8 thousand year old tools of seal hunters made of quartz, the dragon-head vane of the wooden church (1644), a seal-gun made by genuine Swedish inhabitants. You may watch a video program about the history of Ruhnu. A two-hundred-year old Korsi Farm is under reconstruction. It is rare due to its dwelling-house built without any foundation and a special type of (stooping) roof.
> Museums
Ruhnu island
Address: Ruhnu, Ruhnu, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
www.ruhnu.ee
>
Ruhnu tuletorn
Address: Ruhnu tuletorn, Ruhnu, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel:
www.saared.ee/tt/ruhnu.htm
>
1 2  next 20 >>

Museums | Churches | Show all

Saaremaa > What to see >



EstNet.info - Tourism & Tavel Information Estonia. Copyright © EstNet - ViroWeb 2003 - 2005
EstNet.info Contact


Estonian Cottage Rental