Estonia - Eesti Saaremaa Museums
logo
EESTI KEELES  SUOMEKSI PÅ SVENSKA AUF DEUTSCH
Search EstNet
 Home
 SiteMap
 Cottage & Apartment Rental Estonia
 Accommodation
- Hotels
- Hostels
- Guest Houses
- Motels
- Camping & Resort Villages
- Bed and Breakfast
- Cottages, Holiday Homes, Villas
- Apartments
- Wellness & Spa Hotels
 Conference Tourism
- Conference & Business Meetings
- Catering
 Food & Drink
- Restaurants
- Cafés
- Pizzerias
- Fast Food
 Active Holidays
 By Night
- Nightclubs & Discotheques
- Casinos
- Pubs
- Bowling & Billiard
 Travel Agencies
 Theatres, Opera Houses
 & Concert Halls
 Museums & What to See
 Car Rental & Taxi
 Business Contacts &  Companies
Weather Estonia
 Gallery
 Distances between
 Estonian Citys
 Pärnu

Saaremaa > What to see > Museums


Museums | Churches | Show all

KURESSAARE MAPTARTU PÄRNUHAAPSALU TARTUMAA PÕLVAMAA VALGAMAA HARJUMAA VILJANDIMAA VÕRUMAA IDA-VIRUMAANARVA LÄÄNE-VIRUMAA JÄRVAMAA RAPLAMAA JÕGEVAMAA HIIUMAA TALLINNPÄRNUMAA LÄÄNEMAASAARENMAAKURESSAAREOTEPÄÄ Saaremaa county:
Saaremaa map
Accommodation
Conference Tourism
Food & Drink
Spa Hotels & Wellness
Active Holidays
By Night
Theatres & Concert Halls, Opera
Car Rental & Taxi
Museums
Kuressaare weather: EMHI

Saaremaa   Museums
found 7, page 1/1: 1
Aaviks memorial museum
Address: Vallimaa k. 7, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 455 7583
www.saaremaamuuseum.ee
Aavikute majamuuseum At the end of the 19th century the house and real estate at 9 Sepa Street (later 7 Vallimaa St.) belonged to a gardener Johann Brenner (1834-92). After his death the real estate was bought buy a tradesman from Kuressaare Jakob Aavik (father of Joosep Aavik) for his brother Mihkel Aavik (father of Johannes Aavik). On April 1, 1896 Mihkel Aavik moved in with his wife Ann (1849-1918) and their children Aadu, Liisi and Juuli. Johannes Aavik lived in his parents' house as a pupil in1898-1902 and later, when he worked as a teacher of Estonian in Saaremaa Gymnasium in 1919-1926. After the parents' death sisters Liisi (1885-1949) and Juuli (1890-1959) took care of the house. From 1961 till his death in 1989 the house was Joosep Aavik's home. On June 19, 1992 the house was opened as Johannes and Joosep Aavik's Memorial Museum, being a branch of Saaremaa Museum.
> Museums
Eemu windmill
Address: Linnuse, Muhu, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 452 8130
www.saaremaamuuseum.ee
There is a windmill at the gate of Eemu Farm in Linnuse Village on island of Muhu. It is one of the few functioning windmills in Estonia. Since May 17, 1980 it is a department of Saaremaa Museum. It is situated one kilometre from the Straight Väike Väin and it was built up on its old site by Jüri Ling, who lives in the same village.
> Museums
Jööri Village Museum
Address: Jööri, Valjala, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 45 49 287
Send e-mail
www.muuseum.ee
The exposition is located inside and around a reconstructed historic granary brought to the village from another place. Ethnographic objects reflecting local history and culture are exposed. Jööri Chapel, some twenty steps from the museum, was the most important centre of the fraternity of Moravians (Herrnhuter) in Saaremaa as the seat of the deacon of the brethren. Upon agreement with the farmer’s family the rest area can be used.
> Museums
Saaremaa Museum - Castle & Fortress
Address: Lossihoov 1, Kuressaare, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 45 54463
Send e-mail
www.saaremaamuuseum.ee
Kuressaare
Kuressaaren Piispanlinna Saaremaa Museum was established on 17th February 1865 when the Research Society of Saaremaa (Verein zur Kunde Oesels) was founded in Kuressaare. J. B. Holzmayer, a teacher of classical languages of Kuressaare Gymnasium, did a lot to start and develop the museum. The antiquities found during archaeological excavations organized by Mr. Holzmayer became the basis of the museum. The collections of the Society were initially located in the building of Kuressaare Gymnasium. In 1892, the museum was in Kuressaare Castle already. During the first quarter of the century the location of the museum was changed several times. After World War I the museum together with the castle were administered by Saaremaa County Government, from 1934 by Kuressaare City Government. In 1925, the exhibits were finally taken to the rooms of the upper floor of the castle. During World War II part of the exhibits got lost. The museum was reopened to the public in 1947. Today it is one of the most important scientific and cultural institutions in Saaremaa County. After the reconstruction of the castle, new modern exhibitions of Saaremaa's history (1985-1987) and nature (1993) were opened. Besides up to 30 temporary exhibitions, numerous concerts and other cultural events are organized in the museum each year. Every second year the Annals of the Museum are published.
> Museums
Mihkli farm museum
Address: Viki, Kihelkonna, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 45 54463
Send e-mail
www.saaremaamuuseum.ee
On the western coast of Saaremaa, 3 km from Kihelkonna towards Kuressaare one may find a peculiar museum - Mihkli Farm Museum. There was no need to gather things into this farm: the complete set of farm houses and all kind of things needed in every-day life were there. Almost all the things have been made by the people of six generations living there during two centuries. You can see historical exhibits in their historical environment. Mihkli Farm Museum was born on Feb. 5, 1959, when the last owner of the farm became the first employee of the new museum after having handed over all the buildings and everyday commodities to Saaremaa Museum.
> Museums
Muhu Museum
Address: Koguva, Muhu, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 45 48872
Send e-mail
www.muhumuuseum.ee
Muhu Museum in the village of Koguva on the island of Muhu illustrates the life of a prosperous coastal farm in the 19th century. Tooma farmstead – the birthplace of Estonian writer Juhan Smuul – with all outbuildings and farm equipment is the heart of the museum. Additionally, an old village school dating back to the mid-19th century and a display of ethnographic textiles (Muhu folk costumes and bridal quilts) exhibited in the office building of the museum at Koguva Välja, belong to the museum. In addition to the ethnographic farmstead, an exposition introducing the life and work of Juhan Smuul and his summertime writing-room can be seen at Tooma. A copy of the Letter of Freedom, granted to the peasants of Koguva in 1532, is displayed on the wall of the Tooma living-room. The history and inhabitants of the village of Koguva are introduced. The museum is situated in the heart of the Koguva village, which is a heritage conservation area. Old dry-stone walls and crooked village streets create a unique archaic atmosphere around the museum. It is worth remembering, however, that the rest of the village is not a museum and the villagers are leading their normal daily life.
> Museums
Ruhnu museum
Address: Ruhnu, Ruhnu, Saaremaa
map Location
Tel: +372 55623993
Send e-mail
www.aiboland.ee/Ruhnu%20muuseum/muuseumist
Ruhnu Museum was founded in 1990 and the present exposition opened in 1998. Here we can see about 300 items that were once used by the islanders in their work and everyday life. There are 12 wallboards of photos and texts that cover the peculiar history and nature of the island. The most unique are the 8 thousand year old tools of seal hunters made of quartz, the dragon-head vane of the wooden church (1644), a seal-gun made by genuine Swedish inhabitants. You may watch a video program about the history of Ruhnu. A two-hundred-year old Korsi Farm is under reconstruction. It is rare due to its dwelling-house built without any foundation and a special type of (stooping) roof.
> Museums
1

Museums | Churches | Show all

Saaremaa > What to see > Museums



EstNet.info - Tourism & Tavel Information Estonia. Copyright © EstNet - ViroWeb 2003 - 2005
EstNet.info Contact


Estonian Cottage Rental